CALL FOR ENTRIES DEADLINE FOR ENTRY FEBRUARY 28TH, 2019
The Midwest Sculpture Initiative is proud to be organizing 14 outdoor sculpture exhibits for 2019-20. All exhibits feature the following benefits to the exhibiting sculptor:
- stipends of $850. and $750. (paid to sculptor at time of installation);
- high visibility sites;
- year-long coordinated media promotions;
- most venues offer guided tours and brochures;
- exhibits posted on the MSI website (www.msisculpture.com) with links to and from the host websites;
- concrete pads and installation services;
- strongly encouraged sales (MSI has proven year after year that it can sell sculpture, ask the many happy sculptors);
- and MSI, with the ‘host’, will provide liability insurance (sculptor supplies damage and loss insurance).
- All exhibits begin approximately May 1st, 2019 and conclude April 15th, 2020
- 14th Annual Sculpture on Ford Roadin Canton (Michigan) an upscale, rapidly developing, western suburb of Detroit that is focused on involving the arts into the everyday life of its citizens. This year-long exhibition is sponsored by the Canton Downtown Development Authority with assistance from the Canton Public Art Committee. The exhibition will be comprised of sculptures along a three-mile stretch of Ford Road. Currently, 42,000 vehicles a day travel this site. This community wide exhibit exposes the artwork to the residents and the hundreds of thousands of annual visitors to Canton, Michigan. Stipend: $850.
- 14th Annual Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionat the University of Toledo (Ohio). This campus wide exhibit exposes the artwork to 25,000 + students, faculty, staff and visitors over the year long exhibit. The University of Toledo has an active sculpture purchase program and a desire to grow the exhibit in scope and scale, therefore, some sculptors may be asked to exhibit their piece for two years with an additional stipend being paid. Stipend: $750.Deadline for this exhibit is February 15th, 2019.
- 12th Annual Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionat the Ella Sharp Museum of Art & History in Jackson (Michigan). The Museum is located in spacious, well-landscaped Ella Sharp Park and enjoys thousands of visitors weekly. "The Ella" is on the National Register of Historic Places, listed as a State of Michigan Landmark and accredited by the American Association of Museums. A solo exhibit consisting of 3-5 piece with artist receiving a flat fee.
- 12th Annual Art Trail TecumsehThe City of Tecumseh (Michigan) is a vibrant community, located 25 miles southwest of Ann Arbor, Michigan and 45 miles northwest of Toledo, Ohio. Tecumseh is home to 8,700 residents. Noted as one of the first three original settlements in Michigan. Tecumseh is proud of its past, this is clearly evident in the historic downtown district. An interesting mix of specialty shops and dining options fill the buildings that have stood watch over Chicago Boulevard for over 150 years. Historic downtown Tecumseh provides an ideal setting for a public sculpture program. Stipend: $850.
- 10th Annual City of Hastings Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionHastings (Michigan) is a vivid example of a community that works to provide a quality of life for all citizens. Hastings has been rated as one of the "best" in the book “The Best Small Towns in America” by Norman Crampton. Hastings is a community that actively supports public art as exhibited by the their rapidly growing permanent collection. Stipend $850.
- 8th Annual City of Adrian Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition The City of Adrian (Michigan) is home to Adrian College, Siena Heights University, a Jackson College satellite campus, the historic Croswell Opera House and the longest running county fair in Michigan. Downtown Adrian features unique shops full of charms and treasures accentuated by historic architectural beauty. Stipend: $850.
- 8th Annual Kochville Township Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition Kochville Township (Michigan) is located approximately three miles north of Saginaw. Kochville Township's residents pride themselves in the community's character…rural, yet convenient. They enjoy the wide-open spaces and the easy access to shopping, state-of-the-art medical centers and the accredited educational institutions of Saginaw Valley State University, Davenport University and Northwood University. Stipend: $850.
- 8th Annual City of Valparaiso Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionThe City of Valparaiso (Indiana) is located 15 minutes south of Lake Michigan and 65 minutes east of Chicago's Loop. Charming and full of character, Valparaiso is a family focused, volunteer oriented and pedestrian friendly community offering a variety of recreational activities from youth basketball camps to triathlons. Valparaiso features 15 lush parks, a historic downtown, award-winning theatres, dynamic museums, welcoming churches and housing suited to fit any budget. The variety of cultural, economic, geographic and educational resources that include nationally acclaimed Valparaiso University and the Valparaiso Community School System combine to provide a progressive atmosphere rich in opportunity. Valparaiso's Redevelopment Commission is initiating a public arts program to help energize community development. Stipend: $1500. Large pieces ONLY!
- 7th Annual Fenton Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionThe City of Fenton (Michigan) is conveniently located in lower mid-Michigan with access to the U.S. 23 expressway giving easy access to Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing and Detroit within a hour drive. Since 1995, the City of Fenton has experienced a boom in both housing and business. With a trend in apartment and condominium living. The median age in 34 and the median income is $55,637. The majority of Fenton residents earn their livings in the field of education, health, social services and manufacturing. Stipend: $850.
- 6th Annual Belleville Area Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionThe City of Belleville is nestled on beautiful Belleville Lake in the heart of Van Buren Township. From scenic parks to an all-American main street lined with shops and eateries, Belleville is a delightful waterfront community. The City and Township offer family friendly festivals, events and recreational opportunities for residents and visitors. Waterfront recreation, a traditional downtown, Van Buren Township's Belleville Road commercial corridor, plus easy access at the crossroads of I-94 and I-275, make the Belleville Area Community an outstanding place to live, work and play. Stipend: $850.
- Centennial Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit @ The John D. Wittersheim Parklocated at Siena Heights University, Adrian MI.This year marks the 4th Annual John D. Wittersheim Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition. The intention of the sculpture park is to honor the tools, ideas, craftsmanship and lessons of metalsmith John D. Wittersheim. The exhibit utilizes the green spaces radiating out from Studio Angelico and provides places of inspiration and reflection. The Sculpture Park is excited to be a member of the MSI family. Stipend:$850
- 5th Annual Vandalia Art Parked Sculpture ExhibitionVandalia (Ohio) is “the Perfect Fit” to Live, Work & Play. The dedicated and involved citizens together with our many amenities, such as our vibrant farmers market, stable government, exceptionally rated schools, championship golf course, and recreation center/sports complex, make an outstanding community. Since 2001, Vandalia has supported a variety of arts and cultural activities including Vandalia Chiseled—Stone Sculpture Symposium which produced 5 large limestone public sculptures. At the crossroad of I-70/I-75, Vandalia is home to the Dayton International Airport and is 7 miles north of Dayton which boasts a multitude of cultural organizations such as the DAI, Schuster Center, the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company and the new Dayton Performing Arts Alliance (Opera, Ballet & Philharmonic). Stipend: $850.
- 5th Annual Port Huron Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionThe City of Port Huron (Michigan) stretching for seven miles along the shore of the St. Clair River and the base of Lake Huron, is an international border crossing marked by the spectacular Blue Water Bridge. Port Huron's stunning waterways and diverse annual events make it a year-round tourist destination. With its abundant attractions, high standard of living, and convenient location, Port Huron is a great place to live and work...or just visit. Stipend: $850.
- 2nd Annual Macomb Township Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionMacomb Township (Michigan)wasoriginally settled in 1831, and is located approximately 30 miles north of Detroit, within minutes of exceptional shopping, dining, and entertainment. Centrally located within Macomb County, Macomb Township offers residents easy access to Detroit, Mt. Clemens and Lake St. Clair, and is home to four highly awarded and recognized school districts: Chippewa Valley, L’Anse Creuse, New Haven Community and Utica Community. With a population of over 80,000, Macomb Township is one of the fastest growing communities and one of the most financially stable communities in Michigan. Stipend: $850.
- 2nd Annual Fostoria Outdoor Sculpture ExhibitionFostoria, Ohio was established in 1854 and is located at the convergence of Hancock, Seneca and Wood Counties in Northwest Ohio. It is approximately 40 miles south of Toledo and 90 miles north of Columbus. Fostoria is best known for its famous glass production years and for its abundant rail traffic that continues today. Visitors travel from many different state and even countries, to visit out historic city. Train enthusiasts love our beautiful Iron Triangle Rail Park for panoramic viewing of 100+daily trains. Others visit the various museums that are dedicated to Fostoria Glass as well as namesake's Governor Charles Foster memorabilia and other notable pieces from Fostoria's history including a Fostoria-manufactured Allen Car and WWII-era Seagrave fire engine and more. Residents and visitors alike enjoy our seasonal Farmer's Markets from May-September. Stipend: $850.
WHAT TO SUBMIT(AS MANY PIECES AS YOU WANT!)
- Work durable enough to withstand the harsh Michigan/Ohio/Indiana winters and suitable for public viewing;
- completed entry form;
- JPEG digital images on a CD including: 1 or 2 views of each work, filenames must include: corresponding number to the image list, artist’s last name, title (03_Rodin_Thinker). Images must be at least 72 dpi; please do not use all caps or insert your information on to the image
- image list including image number, artist name, title, material(s), dimensions in feet, weight, retail price; (40% commission charged on sales) and installation requirements;
- current professional resume;
- one paragraph artist's statement (if you’re Irish and/or an English major it can be longer);
- resume, artist's statement, and image listmust be in PDF format on the CD. Please do not email as an image.
- no electronic signatures
Submission tip: Do notbe afraid to re-submit pieces that may not have been accepted in previous years or that have been in previous MSI exhibits (example: just because it was in Canton last year doesn’t mean it can’t go to Toledo this year! Also, remember: jurors are fickle!)
SUBMISSIONS SNAIL MAILED or HAND DELIVER TO:
11993 East U.S. 223
Blissfield, MI 49228
Questions:517-486-4591 or email@example.com
SUBMISSIONS E- MAILED TO:
PLEASE NOTE: Total e-mail size must be under 10,000 kb or the NetZero server will reject it. Please follow all the instructions above and 'attach' JPEG photos and PDF files of printed materials. We will send a confirmation e-mail.
All Calls for Entries and previous Midwest Sculpture Initiative exhibits can be seen at www.msisculpture.com
Note:We can relocate your work from show to show, for a fee of course.
Call 517-486-4591 for more information.
MIDWEST SCULPTURE INITIATIVE ANNUAL ENTRY FORM(please print)
You need to only complete one entry form. It will cover all exhibits for 2019-20!
CITY: _______________________________________ STATE: _____________ ZIP: ______________
PHONE #: ______ -- ________________ CELL#: ______-- _________________
Please check only the exhibits that you wish to have your work presented for jury or simply check “ENTER ME IN ALL”
____ 14th Annual Sculpture on Ford Roadin Canton, Michigan
____14th Annual Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionat the University of Toledo in Toledo, Ohio
____12th Annual Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionat the Ella Sharp Museum of Art in Jackson, Michigan Deadline for this exhibit is February 15th, 2019. (We do not want you to miss out on other MSI opportunities)
____12th Annual Art Trail Tecumseh in Tecumseh, Michigan
____ 9th Annual City of Hastings Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition in Hastings, Michigan
____8th Annual City of Adrian Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition in Adrian, Michigan
____8th Annual Kochville Township Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition in Kochville, Michigan
____7th Annual City of Valparaiso Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionin Valparaiso, Indiana
____7th Annual Fenton Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionin Fenton, MI
____6th Annual Belleville Area Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionin Belleville, MI
____Centennial Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition at John D. Wittersheim Sculpture Park in Adrian, MI
____5th Annual Vandalia Art Parked Sculpture Exhibitionin Vandalia, OH
_______ 5th Annual Port Huron Outdoor Sculpture Exhibitionin Port Huron, MI
____3rd Macomb Township OutdoorSculpture Exhibitionin Macomb Township, MI
____2nd Annual Fostoria Township OutdoorSculpture Exhibitionin Fostoria, OH
____ Oh hell, I give up! JustENTER ME IN ALL the MSI Exhibits!!!
By signing this entry form, I promise to deliver my selected work(s) or make arrangements to have my selected work(s) delivered to the exhibit(s) at the appointed time(s). I realize that the stipend paid is for the purpose of off-setting my delivery expenses and that there will be no additional transportation expenses paid.
Your signature ________________________________________ Date ____________
JURY RESULTS WILL BE e-MAILED BY MARCH 31, 2019